Friday, April 06, 2007

Global Warming

We've been hearing about global warming for a while now. It was easy to dismiss at first, it seemed to be simple speculation that the earth is warming, and I found it easy to believe those who said that things weren't that bad, that the recent crazy weather was part of a natural cycle of things.

I'm not convinced of that anymore.

Recently, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released a statement, several in fact, which first detailed that Global Warming is truly occurring, what the effects will be on a regional basis, and what we can do about it. There were apparently days of discussion in which government heads of state disagreed with the language used, and the contributing scientists had to "water-down" the report so that it wasn't as alarming.

Here is an excerpt of what the effects will be, keep in mind that this is the the "watered-down version":

"North America will experience more severe storms with human and economic loss, and cultural and social disruptions. It can expect more hurricanes, floods, droughts, heat waves and wildfires. Coasts will be swamped by rising sea levels. In the short term, crop yields may increase by 5 percent to 20 percent from a longer growing season, but will plummet if temperatures rise by 7.2 degrees.

Africa will be hardest hit. By 2020, up to 250 million people are likely to be exposed to water shortages. In some countries, food production could fall by half, it said.

Parts of Asia are threatened with massive flooding and avalanches from melting Himalayan glaciers. Europe also will see its Alpine glaciers disappear. Australia's Great Barrier Reef will lose much of its coral to bleaching from even moderate increases in sea temperatures."

Read that first paragraph again slowly. Remember the devastation we all felt over the Tsunami, or the hurricane devastation is Mississippi and New Orleans? We will be getting a lot MORE of that.

It also states that we will start to see the effects of Global Warming in only a few decades. That means our kids will be the most affected. My daughter who dreams of traveling might be unable to ski the Swiss Alps because they are no longer covered in snow.

I don't see how we can let this happen. The point of the Panel, as far as I can tell, is to warn governments and society that the world is headed in the wrong direction, I but I believe they also think we can turn it around, that it might not be too late.

I'm going to focus my efforts in learning more about our Presidential candidates than I have in the past. I'm hoping that this issue is given the importance and gravity it deserves, and that we can confidently vote on a candidate who clearly supports the issue. At this point, I have no idea who that might be.

For me, all of the other issues pale in comparison to this one. We are talking about the EARTH, our homes, our families. Taxes, national health insurance, illegal immigrants, space exploration, all of these issues won't mean anything if we don't have somewhere to live.

According to the report, our use of fossil fuels is the main thing responsible for the warming. That means that we have to find other alternatives. The high cost of fuel, in my opinion, might be a blessing if it makes us drive less. I know I am affected the most when something hits my pocketbook, and I can't be the only penny pincher!

I no longer think that the predictions are being made by crazy scientists who are simply trying to get publicity or funding for more research. I do think it needs to be the number one issue in America and the world.

Are you as concerned as I am, or maybe you think it's just hype? I would love to hear some comments on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."