Sunday, May 02, 2010

Kaleidoscope



Anyone who knows me and my youngest daughter M know our infatuation with Matilda Jane Clothing. M wears it just about every day. In fact, the only person in our family that doesn't have at least one MJC outfit is my husband.






Recently the team from MJC announced a contest on their blog, the winner and a friend get to fly to Ft. Wayne IN on an all-expense paid trip to the MJC Art Fair.

The contest: Send in something that reminds you of Matilda Jane Clothing.

I thought about what I might send for maybe, two seconds. The story was written in an hour or so, and I had it ready to mail a couple of days later.

Here is my entry, beginning with a letter to MJC.

Dear Denise and Team 435,

“What reminds you of Matilda Jane Clothing?”

It took less than one minute for me to come up with the answer to that question – it was a slam dunk. But it wasn't a thing, it was a person; or more specifically a group of people that I believe completely embody the spirit of MJC.

Of course, I couldn't fit them into a 9 ½ x 12 ½ envelope, so I did the best I could by telling their story. I did try to keep it short-I realize that you have many submissions to go through and I don't want to take too much of your time.

I have enclosed a few pictures of my three youngest kids in their Matilda Jane gear. They are: G-8, T-7, and M-5. My oldest daughter (D-16) and I also have MJC outfits that we adore, but catching her at home during daylight hours is impossible and there wasn't anyone available to photograph me.

Thank you so, so much for hosting this contest. Even if I don't win, I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to put this together. I created two identical envelopes, one for you and one for the amazing lady I've tried to honor.

In the very remote case that I win, I'll be bringing her with me to the 435 Art Fair.



So here is the story I sent in:








I also included in the package a slideshow of their BEAUTIFUL year together:



The entire contest entry is in the hands of the awesome team at Matilda Jane, and although I have my fingers crossed that we win, I was really just so happy that I could tell Donna's story.

Donna, you know that I think what you and Brittany are doing with those kids is simply amazing, and you continually blow me away with your generosity and kind spirit. I love you to death!

5 comments:

  1. Leah, You did a FANTASTIC job on this! Donna's story is truly an inspirational one of love, of faith and of sacrafice. Kudos to you for sharing the story. and well Nanee (as I call her)... Love you little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing Donna's story, she is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you find me??? I love your photography!!! Hey, I will post my entry too. Too bad you are in Texas... we live 5 minutes from Denise... She is an amazing woman!!!!!!!!!!!!! I entered, even though I am sure someone local will not be picked. Kind of silly when all of you all are dying to get here. If you win, we must meet!!! We love MJC and the people there are just as amazing as their clothes... I will post my entry tonight... I hope you are in the top 10!!! Great entry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. itbedonna8:21 PM

    Leah - I am so amazed at your entry. It is so humbeling. Doing what I do with the kids just feels so normal it is like we (Brit and I) were born to do it. People always tell me how lucky the kids are to have us. I think it is Brittany and I that are the lucky ones to have them. You truly captured our lives. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah--That was beautiful!!! When I came to your blog earlier I did not have time to read through your entry and I wanted to read/see it all at once. Donna and her family sound amazing and the children are BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope you win, then we would for sure meet!!! I am dying to see them posted soon...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."