Thursday, May 20, 2010

CD vs. Art Print: Which one?

A prosepctive client recently asked the following question:

"What is the difference between the images we would get on the CD and the images we would get if ordering from you?"

Great question, and I think this would make a great blog post.

The images I take are RAW files, which I compare to raw food-there isn't anything done to the file in camera-so it is very flat and just blah. Although it kills me to let anyone see one, for the sake of this demonstration I'll share a recent image:



All of my images look like that straight out of the camera, but I don't usually let anyone see them like that! The first thing I do is add some spice by correcting the contrast, color and exposure. This is a fairly quick adjustment and every single image gets this treatment. I then convert all of the files into JPEGs and that is what you will get on your CD.

Here is the same image, after a few basic edits:



Much better!
I recommend to all of my clients that they use their CD to make prints, to share online, to archive. They can convert them to B&W, have them printed on a mug at Walmart, whatever they wish. But my clients know that the CD images are not individually retouched, and they will make acceptable small prints but I don't recommend using the CD for enlargements.

So how does an image that is ordered directly from me compare to the CD?

Well, here is the above image, after retouching:



This is what an Ever After Art Print looks like. It is printed on professional grade paper, which is thicker than what you'd get from Walmart and only archival grade inks are used (resistant to fading or coloring over time). This is how the print should look that you hang on the wall.

I think my clients deserve both-a CD of images so that you can inexpensively reproduce every single image if thats what you want, and professionally retouched and printed enlargements that you are proud to display in your home-and that is why I include the CD and a $100 Print Credit.

Here are a few more CD/Art Print comparisons:





I hope that clears things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."