Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hiking with the Kids: Pinnacle Peak



One of the things I most looked forward to doing here in Arizona is spending more time outdoors with my kids. Even though Phoenix is smack in the middle of a desert, there are dozens of things to do because the weather is phenomenal for most of the year. This week, for example, the average high temperature has been around 73 degrees. Don't hate.

So last weekend, after spending the day doing mostly nothing, we decided to hit the trail and take a hike. I did a bit of online research to find a kid-friendly, fairly easy and location and came up with Pinnacle Peak in nearby Scottsdale.

The drive was fairly short, but we wouldn't have found it if we didn't have a GPS unit because the directions I printed out were horrible. My daughter D accused me of not being able to read a map. That is soooo not true.

Scottsdale looks like what I imagined all of Phoenix would-a LOT of saguaro cactus, southwest architecture and wide open spaces. I felt like I was in a 1950's western movie. Like I should be on a horse. I even started talking like John Wayne, pardner.



Here are the kids at the start of our hike, with Pinnacle Peak in the background:



The trail is fairly steep, but still manageable for small kids. There were a couple of steep drop-offs that scared me, the kids didn't bat an eye.



Spectacular views. We were all impressed, and stopped often to gaze, take pictures and eat.


D cracked herself up with this pose. She said "Oh my God, why am I so funny?" You get it from me, of course.



Here we are, at the highest point:




And a rare shot of me with all the kids:



Things to know about Pinnacle Peak:
It isn't a "loop" trail. You hike to the end, then turn around and go back the way you came.
The highest point is about halfway down the trail.
Dogs and bicycles are not allowed.
The trail is 1.75 miles to the end. And of course, 1.75 miles back.
Rock climbing, for experienced climbers with appropriate gear, is permitted in three areas of the park with a variety of routes and skill levels.
Do not plan to take sunset pictures. The park gates close at 5:30, but the park rangers begin closing at 4:30 by walking from the end of the trail all the way to the trail head. If you meet the ranger on your way up, you must turn around and head back down.
The only restroom is located at the base of the trail.

My kids want to go hiking every week from now on. I'm looking for our next destination now. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."