Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How to find what you want on Craigslist

I've been asked four times now how I find things on Craigslist. I admit, it was a bit intimidating at first because of how many items there are and how often things get posted, but now I've kinda got it down to a science. Keep reading if you are interested in scoring some fabulous finds for next-to-nothin'.

First, it helps to know exactly what you are looking for, otherwise you will be completly overwhelmed by the amount of items that are listed each day. One of my best purchases in recent months was the dining table and chairs that I am in the process of recovering and painting. When I logged onto the Craigslist site to begin my search, I already knew that I was looking for a sturdy dining set with at least 6 chairs for $200 or less. Here is how I did it:

Once on the site, I go straight to "Furniture" and then enter my parameters in the seach box at the top of the page. I make sure to look under "Furniture-by owner" and not "by dealer", because the dealer items are usually just put there to get you into their store, where they will typically tell you the item has been sold, but they have others for just a bit more $$. I don't have time to weed through all that foolishness, so "by owner" works for me. Next, under "search for" I enter "dining set," then I put $200 in the max price field, and finally check the "has image" box.

Now every post with "dining set" in the title or body of the post will be listed, and they will all have a picture (some better than others!) and all will be less than $200. I don't usually find what I'm looking for the first time or two, so I check back every day (or several times a day, LOL) until I see something that will work.

I then call the person who listed the item, and arrange a time to see it. Many times it has been sold by the time I call, in which case I go back and start again.

I've used Craigslist to buy a coffee table, an end table, a dryer, a dining set and a rug. I've sold a dining table, a dryer and given away boxes and paper after our move. I think it is the ultimate recycling venue and most certainly worth the time it takes to use. If you enjoy garage sales and flea-markets, you will love Craigslist. Try it and let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."