Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Here!


I can finally release it...the thing I've been working on for months-My Brand New Website!

The hardest thing for me was the process of deciding the over-all look of my site. There are some incredible website companies out there, and the longer I looked, the more overwhelmed I became. I started looking at the websites of other photographers that I love, trying to decide who has the best presentation, the easiest to navigate, the most elegant, or personable.

I also got caught in in trying to figure out what my brides would like best, and then the next day I would think that maybe it should appeal to families with kids. Maybe it should be colorful, cheerful and bright. No, it should be sophisticated, and slick. Modern. No, timeless. AAAHHH! It was so hard.

Well, it was hard until I attended the Free to Succeed Workshop in Austin last month. There, in the course of four hours, I learned EXACTLY what I needed to do to create the perfect website. I learned that I didn't need to look any further than myself. That the key to finding the perfect website, the perfect marketing materials and the perfect brand for my business, was ME.

Thinking back to that night, I can almost feel the earth shake as my entire BRAND suddenly gelled in my mind during the drive home.

I'm not slick, or especially colorful. I'm definately not the most modern woman. My house isn't perfect, I'm uncomfortable in super-slick houses. So none of those things would work for my brand.

So, who am I? Well, I'm kinda messy, a bit scattered, but with a decent amount of flair. I love texture, things that are handmade, not perfect. I love black and white. I have a busy schedule, but I'm fairly laid back. Art, in many different forms, has always been a part of my life.

At the workshop, we had to come up with 5 words to describe ourselves - my five were:
Not slick
Natural
Organic
Simple flair
Classic

Then we expanded on this, thinking of things that we like about the stores and restaurants that appeal to us, and I wrote:
Texture
Artisan
Soapstone
Torn edges
Quiet

And BOOM. I knew how everything should look.

I was incredibly impatient last year, when I wanted to put the site together but couldn't for several reasons (mostly because I needed more images). Now I am very thankful that I didn't do it sooner. It wouldn't have reflected me, it would have been a copy of what other photographers have done. Now, today, I can connect the dots, and I am very happy that I didn't do this sooner.

So here is the link:
EverAfterbyLeah.com

Take a look around and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."