Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why Does Cheerleading Cost So Much?

Warning-this might turn into a bona fide RANT. I'm angry and trying very hard not to use too many CAPS while typing, but it's a struggle.

My daughter D is starting her first year as a Clemens cheerleader. We had a meeting before tryouts and learned that the total cost will be about $1500 for the year. There were some rumours among the parents that it is more, but some other parents whose daughters have already participated a year or two said that that number sounded about right.

OK. $1500 is a TON of money and I'm a bit incredulous that we have to spend so much, but I allowed her to tryout anyway. However,I don't think there is any other school activity where the parents have to pay for EVERYTHING. Football, soccer, choir, band, as far as I know the school provides uniforms for all of these activities. Why not cheerleading?

And here is the thing that I'm particularly fuming about. (I'm so mad, I think I'm going to cry again.) The cheerleaders are REQUIRED to purchase their own letter jackets as FRESHMEN!!!!! AND it costs $300! The team (or the team director, I should say) has dictated what should go on the jacket, and the upgrades come out to $230. The jacket is $70 and the added patches and crap will be an extra TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS. (Sorry, screaming again.)

What I want to know is, what happened to EARNING one first? And why do we have to pay for it? No one else does.

I seem to be the only parent that has a problem with this. I'm used to paying through the nose for private gym cheerleading, but this is a public school and we are paying MORE.

The saddest part of all is that I am now hesitating to put my youngest in Cheerleading because of the cost. I think she would love it, she already wants to do it, but this is insane.

Why has this been allowed, and what can I do about it?

Edited to add: I emailed the cheer coach today with my concerns, and found out that the jacket is not required. So now I am deciding whether to cancel the order or not-I have 48 more hours to decide. What to do, what to do...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM

    Remember you can make a difference! Write a letter get your thoughts and feelings out there! This is truly not fair and people will follow in your lead. Don't STOP talking about it and take this sitting down! Maybe by the time M get up there your PTA will pay for this or at least help with cost! You may be the catalyst!! :-) ~Gina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."