Sunday, March 16, 2008

By now, everyone knows what photoshop is and what it can do. You can add stuff, take stuff away, stretch, push, and twirl. It used to be that a picture was fairly reliable proof of how something happened; and sometimes even highly doubtful things seemed real-UFO pictures, bigfoot and the loch ness monster come to mind. I always thought that the was a decent possibility that they existed because of the pictures. Not anymore!

I now have a hard time believing just about any unusual picture I come across. Our ability to manipulate an image is mind-boggling, and anyone can do it-even my kids. So now, we have a society which has a standard for beauty that is impossible for anyone to attain. NO ONE is as skinny, as blemish-free, or as perfect in person as what we see in print. But still we strive to attain those looks. It is CRAZY!

What does this mean for our kids? I can't even imagine where all this is going. I do know that kids today are much more sophisticated than they ever were before. But is it all bad? Is there a happy medium?

I have to admit that I'm not above digital manipulation myself. I try very hard to ensure that the image still looks like the same person, but I can hardly look at an unedited photo without thinking about what I can do to make it better.

Of course, it is easy to go overboard, and someone has written a blog about it, no not me, I mean an entire BLOG. It's hilarious to look at the mistakes that have been made.

So, what do you think of the use of photoshop in todays world? I'd love to hear some comments!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:07 AM

    I love it! Now that I have seen what can be done, I don't like "regular" pictures anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."