Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Southern Hospitality, or just plain good manners?

I've had a difficult time lately, struggling with people that seem to me to be "not positive enough." I come across people who are just barely pleasant, and sometimes completly neutral, when we first see each other, and I have a hard time not taking it personally. Is it a sign of the times, now that things are so casual, that you don't have to put on a happy face?

I learned a long time ago to "fake it 'till you make it," which means that if you don't feel like being really friendly and putting a smile on your face, you do it anyway, because the feelings will follow the action.

I moved from Texas to Virgina 16 years ago, and came right back home again specifically because this was the prevailing attitude of most everyone I met. I couldn't wait to get back to our friendly area-store clerks who greet you with a smile, people who say hello just because they are within shouting distance even if they have never seen you before, and friends who light up when you see them.

I guess San Antonio is changing, or maybe it's because I'm meeting people who aren't from around here.

I wish things were like they used to be. Less attitude, more hospitality. Really, I won't be offended if you aren't REALLY happy to see me, but you act as if you are.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:59 AM

    I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, I think it's a sign of the times! We need to push for the good manners and keep our expectations high! :-) ~Gina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Mom of four fantastic, funny kids. Freakishy addicted to hot tea and cold cereal. Fantasizes about a future in photography. Loves to death her fun friends, funky family and football (just ask anyone). This has been brought to you by the letters "Ph."